Welcome to San Stefanos (NW Corfu) > Where to eat out in San Stefanos?

mythica

<< < (11/19) > >>

Jimbo:
I think it depends what you're feeling like. It is quite nice to have a peaceful evening with some nice food, and then may have a Metaxa in a bar. I do get a little bored with the dancing and barbecue lighter after a while. Unlike my experience of Sidari, where the food was awful apart from Chinese (which I can get 2 minute's walk from here) or Indian (1 minute's walk), San Steph has some very nice places to eat with a variety of ambiances.

There seems to be a view that you get lots of authentic Greek food in SS. I happen to think this is not *quite* true - it's pretty much tailored to the tourist trade. If you want the real village cooking you have to go to mountain villages or maybe Gavdos. Seen any goat in SS? Seen a real 4 hour meze?

There is variety, and they all care. Moussaka here, fish curry there, pork medallions in Mythica, bream out of the sea in Yannis' - it's all part of the way SS operates. I think this variety helps, and is part of the reason people go back. It's not the cultural capital of the world - it hasn't got Hellenic or Byzantine ruins - but what it has is friendly people trying to carve out their distinctive food niche. Good luck to them!     

Gavlah1973:
Just got back in after a night out including Mythica. All i can say it was ok! Had peppered steak and Pam had stuffed chicken. She said it was no better or worse than something id cook! I know loads like it and Sellsy loved it whilst he was here but to me just ok considering it cost 40€ for the two of us.
Also thought the service was ok, nothing spectacular

Gillywoo:

--- Quote from: Jimbo on August 29, 2010, 02:46:41 AM ---I think it depends what you're feeling like. It is quite nice to have a peaceful evening with some nice food, and then may have a Metaxa in a bar. I do get a little bored with the dancing and barbecue lighter after a while. Unlike my experience of Sidari, where the food was awful apart from Chinese (which I can get 2 minute's walk from here) or Indian (1 minute's walk), San Steph has some very nice places to eat with a variety of ambiances.

There seems to be a view that you get lots of authentic Greek food in SS. I happen to think this is not *quite* true - it's pretty much tailored to the tourist trade. If you want the real village cooking you have to go to mountain villages or maybe Gavdos. Seen any goat in SS? Seen a real 4 hour meze?

There is variety, and they all care. Moussaka here, fish curry there, pork medallions in Mythica, bream out of the sea in Yannis' - it's all part of the way SS operates. I think this variety helps, and is part of the reason people go back. It's not the cultural capital of the world - it hasn't got Hellenic or Byzantine ruins - but what it has is friendly people trying to carve out their distinctive food niche. Good luck to them!     

--- End quote ---

Fair comment Jimo but you will be clapping along to the dancing with the rest of us in the Little Prince come late September ;)

Andy

Jimbo:
Gillywoo - your are right! As we're staying there, we have to in any case,

We will also be doing the same thing in Zorba's whilst my dearest and plenty of other women (maybe even some blokes!) ogle O Vasilis' bum. I will avert my eyes and concentrate on the lamb with apricot, which will be about four times as much as I can eat. Then the guys with the accordion will come around and I'll have to avert my eyes even further, by which time my head will be so far around to the back I'll look like a clip from The Exorcist. (Note to Don and Tony: don't bother saying I already do!)

tonyco1:
I really can imagine Jimbo's head rotating as bums wiggle by - sorry mate - that's a dead give-away!! LOL

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni
Go to full version