Welcome to San Stefanos (NW Corfu) > Where to eat out in San Stefanos?

Prices in San Steffanos

<< < (4/6) > >>

stressed0506:
Much as I hate to agree with tony... I agree with Tony....

(Can't believe I said that)

Jimbo:
Say what, exactly?

Lesley:
Jimbo being a smoker myself, there is a new campaign to reduce some prices (according to local TV) on some brands.  At moment you can buy 28 in 1 packet PallMall Blue for 3.50 euros......Marlborough though are 20 for 3.80 euros, still cheaper than UK I believe?  VAT is till 23% so hopefully prices will stay as is for a while in Greece. Smoking ban is meant to be happening again with more gusto but so far seen very little (if none) evidence of this ???

Jimbo:
Thanks, Lesley. Effectively at least (most?) half-price compared to the UK.

Jimbo:
Stressed - Tony will be delighted to have somebody agree with him at last, but what was the point you were agreeing to?

* Fact: the no-smoking ban is a major factor in pub closures. Check the statistics.
* Fact: tobacco revenues from VAT and duty are currently £10.5 billion per annum. That equates to approximately 10% of the NHS budget.
* Fact: the cost of obesity to the NHS is over £45 billion per annum. That's about 45% of the budget.
* Fact: the purchase of tobacco is legal in the UK.

Conclusion 1: in a society which claims to be "free" and support individual "freedom" it is anomalous to ban something in one context which is illegal in another.
Conclusion 2: pubs should only be allowed to serve light salads, and these should be consumed outside

It's impossible to defend smoking or alcohol or many of our pleasure drugs as such, but it is possible to defend our freedom to do what is legal. I fear for our future when what is deemed bad by centralised committees rules every aspect of life. This decade smokers - next decade eaters. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni
Go to full version